Terms and Conditions
I hereby declare that I am of relatively sound mind and body, and accept the terms and conditions of a White Star Running race entry.
Event Rules & Guidelines
The following event rules and guidelines are intended to help ensure the safety of all participants, to meet the requirements of local government permits and to be compliant with applicable UK Athletics, World Athletics (formerly International Association of Athletics Federation, aka IAAF) and Trail Running Association (TRA) regulations for participant performance records and event liability.
All entry fees are non-refundable and White Star Running Ltd retains the right to refuse entry to anyone declaring false information on their entry form, not making the required payment, or otherwise failing to meet the stated entry requirements.
- Each entrant must have their own account to enter an event.
- An email address is required for all entries. All correspondence will be via email.
- To register for a White Star Running Ltd event you must be of appropriate age or older on event day depending on distance.
- Each participant must agree to the disclaimer and terms & conditions before participating in the event.
- All participants take part at their own risk, and a disclaimer waiving all claims against White Star Running Ltd and any party acting on its behalf must be completed by all entrants.
- Registrants must be capable of completing the full distance, start line to finish line, within the event time requirement. Note: most White Star Running Ltd’s events are hilly, challenging courses. The responsibility falls to you to be prepared for the event you are undertaking.
- By taking part, all participants confirm that they are happy for their names and any footage or photographs taken during their participation to be used to publicise any White Star Running Ltd event.
- Participant race number bibs are specific personal identifiers and may not be exchanged with or transferred/sold to any other person.
- Transfers between runners can only be done through White Star Running Ltd within the deadline of transfer displayed on the website, approx. 2 weeks before event day.
- All participants must provide their full name and details of any health problems or medication upon entry and on the back of their race number.
- All entry fees are non-refundable.
- Entries may be deferred toward a future event within a 12-month period or transferred to another runner.
- Registration closure is determined and announced when event participation reaches the established capacity.
If you have selected a dog start race when entering, you agree to be bound by the following conditions (these are required by ARC):
- You will need to make sure that you have public liability insurance to cover your dog for any third-party damage claims (this is usually included in most pet insurances).
- You should have the correct Canicross equipment, eg your dog should be wearing a harness and be attached to you at all times, to a waist belt of some kind. (European guidelines state that the lines have to have a shock absorber (bungee) and should not be more than 2 metres in length when extended.) A handheld lead is not permitted, and you would not be allowed to run. Kit checks will be made on race day.
- We also reserve the right to remove you from the race if we consider your dog to be in distress at any time.
- Canicross runners will not be eligible for any of the main 1st, 2nd or 3rd Ladies’ and Men’s prizes (there will be separate prizes for dog-assisted runners).
- Participants must follow instructions as given from all event officials including race staff, volunteers, medical personnel, security officers and city officials throughout the duration of the event.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event. This means, for example, that urinating or defecating anywhere on or near the course shall be strictly prohibited except in toilet facilities. Anyone violating this rule of conduct shall be disqualified from the event and will be asked to leave the course permanently; no refund will be given.
- Every participant shall be provided with an event bib number, which shall be conspicuously worn on the participant’s front during the event. The event bib number is to be worn as issued. No participant shall be permitted to participate in the event without the appropriate bib number. • Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, rollerblades, unauthorised bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted on the course. Please note most, if not all, White Star Running Ltd events are unsuitable for wheelchairs.
- Other races within the White Star Running Ltd event must be completed within the course time limit set for each event. White Star Running Ltd holds the right to disqualify anyone not making the advertised race cut-off.
- All participants must acknowledge and agree that personal information (including medical information given upon entering or collected by event medical staff during or after the event) can be stored, used and disclosed by White Star Running Ltd in connection with the organisation, promotion and administration of the event and for the compilation of statistical information.
- Any participant who refuses to obey the directions of the event official, city official or course marshal, or who conducts himself/herself in an unsportsmanlike manner, or who is offensive by action or language to officials, volunteers, participants or spectators may be disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in any White Star Running Ltd event at the discretion of race officials.
- Any participant who has been found by a course marshal, event official or surveillance equipment to have gained an unfair advantage by intentionally shortening the route of the race (‘cutting the course’) shall be immediately disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in any White Star Running Ltd event at the discretion of race officials.
- Any person who participates in the event without a current official event bib number or timing device or a bib or chip not officially assigned to him/her is subject to removal and disqualification from future events.
- No persons are authorised to be on the course unless they are registered participants. Therefore, no person shall be allowed to accompany a participant if he/she is not registered in the event, nor shall any participant be allowed, without the permission of the event management, to receive assistance or refreshment from anyone during the progress of the event. Any person not properly displaying an authorised and issued bib number shall be directed to leave the course.
- A hands-on medical examination during the progress of an event by officially designated medical personnel shall not be considered assistance and will not result in disqualification if participant is deemed medically fit. If a participant becomes ill during or after the event and/or receive medical attention or treatment either from event medical staff, first aid team or any doctor or hospital, they must authorise such persons to provide details (including details of medical treatment) to the medical director of the White Star Running Ltd event or others authorised by him/herself.
- The use of wheeled devices by participants or any other person authorised to be on the course shall be strictly limited to (a) authorised and registered competitive wheelchair participants and (b) authorised course marshals on bicycles. Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, rollerblades, unauthorised bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted.
- This event is run under UK Athletics rules and therefore MP3 players or other devices plugged into the ear are not advised while running for reasons of health and safety, both yours and other competitors. We strongly advise against the wearing of said devices. When you wear such a device you are unable to hear other competitors, cars, bicycles or marshals’ instructions.
- Participants are responsible for their recognition and understanding of event signage, symbols and colour relating to participant maps, facilities and direction.
- Medical personnel authorised by the event to do so may examine any participant who appears in distress. If in the sole opinion of authorised medical personnel and it is in the best interest of the participant’s health and welfare, medical personnel may remove the participant from the event.
- Participants must retire at once from the race if ordered to do so by a member of the event’s official staff, official medical staff, or any governmental authority, including fire and police officers.
- Participants are responsible and assume liability for any and all medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participation in the event, including but not limited to ambulance transport, hospital stays, physician and pharmaceutical goods and services.
- Event officials reserve the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the race due to inclement weather in accordance with emergency protocol on severe emergencies and/or inclement weather. No refund will be issued in these circumstances.
- All participants are assigned a chip timing device – this is usually embedded into your running number.
- Clock time (gun time) is the official time for the prize giving. The official times shall be recorded from the start of the race by the starting gun to the point where the participant crosses the finish line. Times shall be rounded to the next highest second. Net times shall not be used for any purpose regarding professional athletes or top 100 participants.
- Course Record (CR) or World Record (WR) times if broken by more than one individual is awarded solely to the overall male/female winner.
- Official times for mass participants will be the electronic timing device time (chip or net time) from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
- Participants must wear their assigned timing device continuously from start line to finish line, to receive an accurate finish time.
- Participants found to be wearing two or more timing devices during the race will be disqualified and their results will not be recorded.
- Participants with missing timing device times at official checkpoints will be reviewed and may be disqualified.
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognised starting time in order to register an official course completion time.
- A full list of results will be published online, on the results page of the event website, following each race. Full and final results will also be made available to relevant parties for the purposes of verification for other events or for the updating of ranking systems.
Amendments / Reservations / Acknowledgements
- Event officials reserve the right, to modify, supplement or waive all or part of the event rules.
- Participants shall be bound by any modification or supplement of the event rules published prior to the event.
- Failure to follow these event rules, as may be amended, will result in immediate disqualification, loss of prize money and removal from official results.
- White Star Running Ltd events follow, and participants are subject to, the rules specified by UK Athletics and World Athletics. Please visit uka.org.uk and worldathletics.org for additional information concerning the rules mandated by the governing bodies for the sport.
In order to run any White Star Running Ltd event, runners agree to the following disclaimer and to the terms and conditions:
“I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event, and I will abide by the laws and rules of UK Athletics.
I declare that I will not compete in the race unless I am medically fit on the day of the race and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk.
I accept that the organisers, sponsors, partners and marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event.
I also hereby give my permission to White Star Running Ltd to use my name, quotes, video and photographic likeness for marketing and promotional purposes. I also understand that entry fees are non-refundable.
I also agree to the terms and conditions before I run any White Star Running Ltd event.”